Positive Muslim News

News about good things Muslims are doing in North America and around the world.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Muslim woman at Stanford wins Rhodes Scholarship

Salam/Peace:

Since 1905, Stanford has been home to 86 Rhodes Scholars, including two recent additions as of Saturday, Oct. 19. Stanford seniors Tanya Ali Haj-Hassan and Elizabeth Mayne will be attending Oxford University next fall on the world’s oldest international fellowship created by British philanthropist Cecil Rhodes in 1902.

Twenty-year-old Haj-Hassan of Amman, Jordan, is majoring in human biology. While at Stanford, her campus involvement has included co-founding the Coalition for Justice in the Middle East, serving as vice president of the Muslim Student Awareness Network, volunteering as a chaplain at Stanford Hospital and researching neonatal mortality in Jordan with an Undergraduate Research Opportunities major grant. Haj-Hassan also initiated and ran a summer camp for underprivileged children in Jordan through a Haas Center for Public Service Fellowship. ALso, as one of the national directors of the Aids Treatment Access Initiative, she coordinated a walkathon in Chicago.

[...]

Pediatrics Prof. Susan Hintz was Haj-Hassan’s first reader for her Human Biology Honors project about neonatal mortality rates in Jordan.

“As soon as I met her, I was utterly and completely impressed by Tanya — she was incredibly enthusiastic, thoughtful, dedicated and one of the most intelligent and organized students I had ever met,” Hintz said. “She planned and completed the data collection in five hospitals in Amman in only a few months and is now deep into her data analysis. She is truly focused, and has done an amazing and comprehensive job of looking at a very complex yet crucially important area of research.”

Read the whole article at:
http://daily.stanford.edu/tempo?page=content&id=18716&repository=0001_article

4 Comments:

  • At 1:55 AM, Blogger Peter said…

    Hi Calm_cool_collected,
    Muslim woman at Stanford wins Rhodes Scholarship is one of the really interesting blogs I’ve found during my search for info about alternative diamond engagement ring. Although Muslim woman at Stanford wins Rhodes Scholarship isn't exactly what I was looking for, I want to express my admiration, keep up the good work! While looking for more information about alternative diamond engagement ring, I seldom see a good blog like yours.

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Peter said…

    Hi Calm_cool_collected,
    Muslim woman at Stanford wins Rhodes Scholarship is truly a nice piece of work!
    While looking for more information about create your own diamond ring,
    I see so much rubbish, that I am glad to find a blog like yours.
    My interest goes out to create your own diamond ring related information,
    but Muslim woman at Stanford wins Rhodes Scholarship is a real inspiration for me.

     
  • At 7:29 AM, Blogger Peter said…

    Hi Calm_cool_collected,
    Your blog is wonderful, although Muslim woman at Stanford wins Rhodes Scholarship isn't exactly what I was looking for: how diamonds can be cut, but I like the topic and how you wrote it. I am more interested in how diamonds can be cut, but during my search for more information I discovered Muslim woman at Stanford wins Rhodes Scholarship, certainly one of the finest blogs I have seen lately!

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger Diamonds Center said…

    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a jared diamond
    site/blog. It pretty much covers jared diamond
    related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home